Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Change and Adapt

About two months ago, my manager came to me with quite an opportunity. As a "real" venue manager, my response…"HECK yes!" Becoming or morphing into the new venue manager at CenterStage@NoDa was everything but slow. I literally had to pick up where someone else left off with structure and organization that I was not used to. It’s hard to follow in the footsteps of someone who has been a rock star.

I guess it would be safe to say I am an OCD organizer, “must have structure”, and I am a professional over filer! After one week of familiarizing myself with a new desk, I found it difficult to operate using the old structure. I had no choice but to tear it up and start over; all while keeping events running. The freedom of creating your own framework of; working and building relationships, events, marketing, and sales is 50% AWESOME and 50% OMG! Making it your own is a beautiful thing but the time it takes to see if it works is terrifying and can be stressful.

“Change and adapt” is my motto for the month after discovering my inner organizational diva. My advice for others who find themselves in this position is, “do not be afraid to make changes so that the system will work for you. Implement your changes into your work load, make it fun, own it! When you work in the creative world you must work creatively."

No comments:

Post a Comment